IWRC home page link Paint Tracker Home

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is Paint Tracker?

A: Paint Tracker is a free recordkeeping application for facilities with spray painting operations.

Q: What is Paint Tracker used for?

A: Paint Tracker allows companies to input data to easily track emissions and sprayable material usage. In addition, the data is compiled into various reports to help companies comply with recordkeeping requirements contained in Iowa Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Air Quality Construction Permits.

Q: What if my company has multiple facilities?

A: With this application, you can register and track multiple sites per company.

Q: What features does Paint Tracker have?

A: With this easy-to-use program, you can:

  • Record information for your facility
  • Enter emission units and permit limits
  • Enter product information
  • Enter material usage
  • Generate usage and compliance reports

Q: I do not have a copy of my Air Quality Construction Permit, where can I go to obtain it?

A: The Iowa DNR has a construction permit search website. Facilities located in Linn County will need to visit the Linn County Public Health - Air Quality Division Site to obtain their permits. Facilities located in Polk County will need to visit the Polk County Public Works - Air Quality Division website to obtain their permits.

Q: I am not familiar with material safety data sheets (MSDS), how do I find the information required for the Paint Tracker program?

A:View our tutorial on MSDS.

Q: Which ingredients should be included as hazardous air pollutants (HAPs) on the Product Information page?

A: Each product MSDS has a section listing the ingredients. These ingredients should be entered into Paint Tracker using their chemical abstract service (CAS) number. CAS numbers are used to ensure that only those ingredients which are classified as HAPs by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) are tracked. A complete list of HAPs can be found on the Iowa DNR HAP List.

However, CAS numbers/chemicals not appearing in this list are not HAPs and do not need to be tracked, unless the CAS number belongs to one of the categories listed below. Chemicals containing antimony, arsenic, beryllium, cadmium, chromium, cobalt, cyanide, lead, manganese, mercury, nickel, and selenium compounds (i.e., strontium chromate, etc.) must also be included as HAP's.

  1. Antimony Compounds
  2. Arsenic Compounds
  3. Beryllium Compounds
  4. Cadmium Compounds
  5. Chromium Compounds
  6. Cobalt Compounds
  7. Cyanide Compounds
  8. Glycol Ethers *
  9. Lead Compounds
  10. Manganese Compounds
  11. Mercury Compounds
  12. Nickel Compounds
  13. Selenium Compounds

* Glycol ethers (category 8) include several chemicals which can be classified as glycol ether but their specific CAS numbers will not be found in the list above. A complete listing of glycol ethers may be found on the EPA Glycol Document (PDF). We recommend searching for a CAS number within this document.

Q: My company is not located in Iowa. Can I still use Paint Tracker?

A: Although Paint Tracker was developed with Iowa facilities in mind, facilities in any state can benefit from using Paint Tracker.

Q: Who developed Paint Tracker?

A: Paint Tracker was developed by the Iowa Waste Reduction Center (IWRC), and funded by the Iowa DNR. Please visit the Iowa Waste Reduction Center Website